Several MLB owners don't want 2020 season to be played, reports say

Share

MLB's latest offer calls for a shortened 60-game season that would begin around July 19, FOX Sports reporter Ken Rosenthal and other outlets reported. On Tuesday, New York Yankees president Randy Levine, who previously had insisted that the agreement required players to discount their salaries, said: "Under the March 26 agreement, the commissioner has the right to schedule the games as long as the players are paid pro rata". And as long as there's no dialogue [with the union], that real risk is going to continue.

MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said in a statement that Manfred's comments were another instance of him negotiating in bad faith. "This has always been about extracting additional pay cuts from the Players and this is just another day and another bad faith tactic in their ongoing campaign".

Players have been steadfast in their refusal of any offer that doesn't include prorated salaries.

MLB and the MLBPA are closing in on an agreement to play the 2020 season, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports, citing players.

New rules let US companies work with Huawei on 5G standards #106828
Nevertheless, the USA has gone ahead to ban Huawei, a decision that is hurting the company in some regards. The Huawei ban amendment announced on Monday is aimed at addressing that disadvantages.

Manfred's power to set the schedule in the absence of an economic deal stems from the sides' March 26 agreement that governed the terms of the sport's shutdown, and it would require Major League Baseball to pay players their full, prorated salaries. Despite the contentious negotiations, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said last week that he was "100 percent" certain that there would be baseball this year.

Based on what transpired Monday, it's fair to surmise during a conference call with owners Manfred heard sufficient dismay, maybe disgust, from enough owners he had to pass along that message to the players, both privately and publicly.

In addition, about 370 players with major league service who were at spring training with minor league contracts received advance payments of up to $50,000 each from the union. During a grievance, they would ask Irvings to order document production.

Absent Manfred's consent, the agreement said, the season would not begin unless there were no travel restrictions in the US and Canada impacting play, no restrictions on mass gatherings at all 30 regular-season ballparks and no health or safety risks in playing in front of fans at the regular stadiums. The two sides reportedly met to discuss the possibility of a season in what was described as a very productive conversation.

Share