Coronavirus death toll rises to 908 in China

Share

World Health Organization director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who made a trip to Beijing for talks with President Xi Jinping and Chinese ministers in late January, returned with an agreement on sending an global mission.

The commission said 3.45 lakh "close contacts" have been traced, adding that among them, 26,702 were discharged from medical observation on Friday.

Lijian Zhao from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, China had said on February 9 that since February 1, the number of cured cases have surpassed the fatalities, and now it is "thrice larger".

The death toll from the coronavirus has exceeded that of SARS epidemic, with about 800 people now confirmed dead, according to published reports.

On Sunday, 2,618 new cases of coronavirus were registered in Hubei Province, of which 1,921 were in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak. The current health crisis now has a higher death toll than the 2003 SARS outbreak, which killed 774 people globally.

With almost 100 deaths from coronavirus in China on Sunday, the death toll from the novel virus is now over 900, with all but two occurring in that country.

One More Look at Iowa Caucus Polling Chaos
They can either pick one of the "viable" candidates or team up to push one of the "non-viable" ones over the 15 percent threshold. That name was Pete Buttigieg's, but it could have been any name because the names automatically randomize after every call .

In its daily update, the commission also confirmed another 3,399 new cases.

"We are in a four-day stable phase where the number of reported cases has not increased".

The 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan was hospitalized last week with a fever, cough and sore throat, and died after developing severe pneumonia, according to the Philippines health department.

The emergency has caused the Diamond Princess cruise ship to be quarantined off the coast of Japan, with 70 people onboard testing positive for the Coronavirus.

The novel coronavirus outbreak poses a "very grave threat for the rest of the world", said Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, in an appeal for sharing virus samples and speeding up research into drugs and vaccines. As the biggest reverse migration began, Chinese officials said on Saturday that the cases of the deadly infection had started declining for the first time after weeks of sharp rise.

Share